Stuart Grozbean
Maryland Divorce | Personal Injury Lawyer Maryland | Maryland Drunk Driving DWI Lawyers | Maryland Divorce Lawyers | Maryland Laws
Maryland divorce lawyerBelli Weil Grozbean Maryland law firm for personal injury, malpractice, divorce, custody, employmentFamily law, Maryland divorce, Maryland legal separation, Maryland separation, Md divorce, Md separation,  Montgomery County divorce, divorce court, divorce in md, divorce in the state of maryland, divorce law, divorce laws, divorce laws in maryland,  divorce mddivorce separation, divorces in maryland, law on divorce, laws about divorce, laws of divorce, laws on divorce, marital separation, marital seperation, marital status, marriage and divorce laws, marriage separation, maryland divorce law, maryland divorces, maryland family law, maryland separation laws, md divorce law, md divorce laws, separation advice, separation and divorce, separation laws, separation maryland, separation md, state of maryland divorce


Practice Areas, Family Law, Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury, Corporate, Nursing Home Abuse, Mediation, Employment, Genereal Litigation, Criminal Law
Criminal Law
General Litigation
Corporate Law
Nursing Home Abuse
Auto Accident Lawyers
Child Custody Lawyers
Child Support
Divorce Attorneys
Maryland Divorce
Divorce & Family Law
Personal Injury
Medical Malpractice

OUR ATTORNEYSBWG Attorneys, Melvin M. Belli, Henry E. Weil, Stuart H. Grozbean, Zachary E. Berge, Clark U. Fleckinger II
Melvin M. Belli
Henry E. Weil
Stuart H. Grozbean
Jamie B. Maier
Clark U. Fleckinger II
Christopher R. Castellano

BWG News, Maryland Lawyers, MD Divorce AttorneyBWG NEWS

Articles & Resources, Legal, Cases, LinksARTICLES
Legal Articles
Link Resources
BWG Blog

CONTACT BWGContact Belli, Weil, & Grozbean for a Free Consultation
Contact Us
FREE Consultation*

Belli, Weil & Grozbean, P.C.
111 Rockville Pike, Ste 980
Rockville, Maryland 20850
(301) 738-5700 (phone)
(301) 738-5708 (fax)



Washington, DC Registry

Maryland Child Support Software

*Please Note: Telephone Conversation / consultation does not create an attorney client privilege and is only meant to provide general information. If you intend to create an attorney client relationship and privileges you must set an office appointment. Free consultation does not apply to employment matters. Free consultation for up to 10 minutes.

**Affiliate offices are separately owned and operated law firms. No other inference of connection is implied or represented. Law firm does not assume any responsibility or liability express or implied as to any other affiliate office.

***Credit card fees may apply.

The procedures for a divorce case in Maryland

FREE CONSULTATION* (301) 738-5700



Mr. Grozbean has been quoted in the Washington Post, USA Today and  on the various television and news channels.

For the average person with no legal experience the Court system can seem daunting and frustrating because of the various rules and procedures that everyone needs to follow. Basically, this is what happens:

  1. A Complaint or Motion gets written and filed with the Court.  This is often called the initial pleading.  (You can do this yourself in what is called ProSe or my a qualified and experienced lawyer.) The Court also requires you to file what is called an Information Sheet for organizational purposes. If alimony or child support is requested your MUST file a Financial Statement with your pleading, if you don't your case is subject to dismissal. There will be a fee to file unless you ask for a waiver due to hardship.
  2. The Court will then issues a summons and will then return your pleading back to you for service. The summons can be served by the sheriff or someone over 18, but if you use someone to server the pleading, you who must submit an affidavit to the Court that the other party was served the papers. YOU CAN NOT SERVE THE PAPERS YOURSELF.
  3. The summons must, depending where the other party lives will have 30 days if they live in Maryland or 60 Days if out of state to file an answer or other responsive pleadings. If they do not answer then you must file a Default Motion and an affidavit they are not in the military service.  Please note that if the person lives outside the United States they will have longer to answer and may not be subject to our laws. 
  4. A scheduling Order will then be established once the parties have filed their answers. This sets time for discovery to learn about assets, experts and other factual matters. They may also set you in for mediation or parenting classes. The Court can also set a Pendete Lite hearing to set child support, access, spousal support and suit money to name a few.
  5. Many Courts have settlement conferences or status conferences to see where the case is headed and help to settle. You may get a trial date at that time.
  6. On the trial date you will present your case for judicial determination. If you do not like the decision of the Court you have a right to file post trial Motions or ask an Appellate Court to review the lower Courts decision.

Remember that this is general information and you should seek the advice of a qualified attorney to help you through this process.


FREE CONSULTATION* (301) 738-5700

< Back to Articles

Our Attorneys Understand
Maryland Divorce Laws!


Top Maryland Lawyers
Belli, Weil & Grozbean | Top Attorneys in Maryland 2009